Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Beatnik-esque

I wish I didn't own all that crazy Nihongo-purchased colour or throw out my black ballet slippers (admittedly, they did get wet a few times in typhoon downpours teamed with waterproof 'socks' I'd wrangled together out of plastic supermarket bags, and they did have a hint of eau du mildew about them) because, far out, my new look for the pending London winter is so going to be Beatnik Momo. In my to-be neighbourhood Shoreditch on Sunday I saw a willowy girl in black leggings, tunic and slippers and, upon stuffing another McVities Jaffa Cake in my gob, I remarked a glowing, full-mouthed and rather disgusting: "I scho wanna be 'er".

As we continued ambling toward Hoxton Square, me in a hung-over and intensely grumpy state, sniffed in a mood of envious inadequacy to Gill, "Hmmmn, there are lots of hipsters around here, aren't there?"

And Gill responded, "Yes. You'll see lots of conceptual haircuts."

Immediately as we turned the corner (and this really better fits cinema than my inept ramblings) was a pouty young man posturing his conceptual haircut like Philip Oakley from The Human League meets Depeche Mode down by A Flock of Seagulls.

Leggings, black, and a conceptual haircut are so on the cards right now. After a job (I must wait 3 weeks to find out about the Penguin gig, I've assaulted a few recruitment agencies for freelance gear in the meantime).

I'm opening comments. Feel free to go forth and squander.

13 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Anonymous digit said...

its good to see you back in action. you'll make the most fantastical beatnik.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Smita said...

Hey, I am so glad you are back! Beatnik Momo will do London winter some good, I bet.

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Kristi said...

Hooray comments!! Thanks for the comment-note, Momo, it is indeed nice to have you back - you were missed. And I think I'm only one of many who will look forward to seeing your conceptual haircut. ;)

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger M. Fred said...

Beatnik, hmm. We're still rocking the Indie Rck/80s Revival here in DC. Think the Killers plus a trucker hat.

Thanks for comment-note. Its good to see you back, natch.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

Hi kids! Lovely to hear from you. The conceptual haircuts I've conceived conceptually are rather frightening, but, aah, why not.

xox

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Jennifer in DC said...

Yay! I was so happy to get your email about this new blog adventure. Love your writing, can't wait to read about your adventures in london :)

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger nicole said...

hooray, comments!

Sounds like you're having fun in London. Good luck with the job.

PS Beatnik Momo could kick those hipsters anyday.

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Blimey said...

perhaps some beat poetry might be on the cards too? and don't forget the winklepickers either...

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Lucy Tartan said...

Beatnik from the neck down will be utterly superb - just don't go the full follicular Allen Ginsberg! (or if you do, take lots of photos!)

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay. I am so happy you are back, everything feels a little bit more right. (Is that creepy to admit to?)

Please post pictures of the haircut when it happens, I love trendy haircuts!

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger deborah said...

hello samone - i was a lurker from before. but now i say hello. you may know me from other websites such as flickr and blogger and thefoodpalate.com. i am a blogger whore.

anyway - i think you are already very fashionable. and i like that you are back. have fun!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

'allo peeps!

Laura, not only will I go the follicular Ginsberg, but also the Uncle Sam hat to boot. Heeheehee.

Love you all long time. It's nice to have a rambling place again.

xoxo

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Desci said...

Welcome Back Sa-mo-mo! xo

And remember the fine line between 'theme' and 'theatre': no berets avec la look de Beatnik ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home