Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Hangin' ten in the emotional wringer

When life throws me curveballs and I don't know how to deal, I find it helpful to concentrate on my appearance. There is nothing quite like staring hard in the mirror, trying on skinny jeans and skimpy swimsuits, and standing in warm light to scour for split ends to make the bigger things in life seem all the more insurmountable.

On that note: I turn 30 in three weeks precisely.

Not that I'm getting all weird about it or anything. Like, it's not as if I'm waking up in the middle of the night and completely flipping the hell out, wondering which drain my winsome youth has slipped down to make way for those crow's feet clawing my eyes, ever so gently, or anything. But I have decided to start lying about my age. I'm going to tell people I'm 40 and wait for compliments about how gobsmackingly young I look.

Genius!

Speaking of which, do check out two of my mates' totally genius Flickr sites*. Aside from their brilliant holiday snaps to Barcelona and NYC and neighbourhoodly places in our neighbourhood, if you dig and dig, you'll even see photos of me. And my crow's feet.

There's Miri.

www.flickr.com/photos/rollingtheberries

She's got many wonderful photos, including one of me and my new Adidas sneakers. A present to myself for my 30th birthday. Just need a matching tracksuit.

And Gilly. My housemate.

www.flickr.com/photos/gillian_lee

You'll see all her truly awesome Lomos, including me in our housewarming party, looking rather ...

relaxed.

Yeah, go on. Go on, young people and your winsome youth. Go on, old people and your crow's feet. Go on, go look at photos of me. Stare long and hard. It'll help.

*For some reason I can't do links at the mo.

7 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Anonymous digit said...

oh my, those shoes are adorable.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger posthipchick said...

30 is great, you will love it.
if all you're fighting is crows feet, you're fine. i've got a great combination of wrinkles and pregnancy acne... FUN!

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Lucy Tartan said...

Thirty, schmirty. It's just a number. Birthdays mean presents, though!

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Steph said...

That is pure genius.Will do the same when i hit 30 :)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

With you on the thirty schmirty, L, it's just other people that make such a big deal! I'm gonna own it ... and add another 10 years. Getting older's better than the alternative, anyhoo.

You're pregnant, Nicole!!! I've been awol. Congratulations.

Thank you, I love my shoes, too! The best thing is they match everything.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Ideas on how to cope with being 30:
1. Tell everyone that you are celebrating the first anniversary of your 29th birthday (Personally, I'll be celebrating my third anniversary early in '06).
2. Tell people you are 29 with a year of experience.
3. Use it as an excuse to buy yourself lavish "Death of my youth" gifts.
4. Start yelling at those ads on TV that are telling you that you can fight the signs of aging with their skin creams (Perhaps sue the company for mental anguish and use $ for plastic surgery and dermabrasion).
5. Start drinking at 8am on your birthday in an attempt to cause alcohol induced amnesia so that you can honestly forget that you turned 30.
6. If you have been mild mannered and respectful of your "elders" and peers up until now, use your 30 years of experience to bolster your courage to express your truest opinions to anyone who can take it. You're 30, you can dish out the tough love now.
7. Seriously? Just deal with it, chickie. It's 30 or dead (please see #6).

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Although, it seems like you definitely are dealing with it quite well. Kick 30's ass, Momo, kick its ass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home