Monday, October 03, 2005

On the buses

And, so, anyway, I was on the bus the other day, the top deck, steaming down Clerkenwell Road on my way home from work. Just as the battery ran flat on my iPod I saw a wine glass fly through the air and, before I had a chance to wonder if indeed I was in an especially upmarket (on account of the vino) wild west saloon bar, there was an almighty

SMASH!!!!

on the floor.

The very drunk Jamaican dude who took it upon himself to throw the glass toddled over to the stairwell, stepping over the glass. Taking a moment to blearily group us together, he addressed the top deck.

“I would clean it, you know.”

[Accusing stares from all of the top deck]

“But you know I'm not gonna.”

[Accusing stares continue]

“But the reason I'm not gonna ... ”

[Shrugs in a lovable comical fashion]

“ ... is I haven't got a broom, mon!”

And then the whole top deck, we laughed riotously. And then stopped abruptly to stare stonily out the window. After all, this is London.

A couple of stops later, a young Chav in Fubu furiously hurled the remainder of the glass out the door onto the street, screaming something that went a little like:

“GWAAARKRKRKR!”

8 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Anonymous saffron said...

On indeed!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger M. Fred said...

The only thing that happens on the DC Metro is lame-o Senate staffers talking about the last bender they went on and where to buy pumps that match your skirt-suits.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger nicole said...

Momo, are these your shoes? http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreadfuldan/49551960/

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

:)

Well spotted! Look like I've got cankles there, and I SO HAVEN'T. Must be the tights ...

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Nina said...

Ahhhh the joys of public transportation!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger nicole said...

they are damn funky shoes...reminds me of a pair I saw in the 'basement' of the Powerhouse Museum about 10 years ago.

Are they courtesy of Tokes? or somewhere else along your travels?

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous naridu said...

What impressed me the most is that it was actual glass, which generally sugests a quality of wine higher than goon.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

It also struck me as odd he was drinking from a wine glass!!! Good on him, I suppose.

They are from Tokyo, Nic, from a store called Alfredo Bannister ... but it was the limited edition one. Of course. Just about all my gear is from there, nowadays, which makes me feel the teensiest bit pretentious, but, aah, can't afford to buy anything new in London anyway for the next 20,000 years, so might as well live on former bygone glories.

I love public transport! Love walking to work more, though. That shall be my next post, I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home