Friday, October 21, 2005

Random things to make Londoners snigger at the quaint little Australian

Or:

How to be truly vile-slash-plain-weird without even meaning it

Over lunch:

“Jason Donovan was a spunk.”

Which, when translated into England English, is akin to saying “Jason Donovan was a jizz.”

And, pushing home the theme:

“Oh, yes, Jason Donovan, in his time, was very very spunky!”

Which is akin to saying “Jason Donovan was, in his time, very very jizzy ... like an ectoplasmic explosion, even.”


Earlier, at the sandwich bar:

“I'll have tasty cheese, please.”

Which is akin to saying “I'll have delicious cheese, please.”

Apparently it's “cheddar”, which may or may not taste good. No assessment has been made on its tastiness.


And from Miri, in her studio:

“My pants got soaking, they've been wet all day.”

Which is akin to saying …

Er …

Well.

“Pants” apparently means underpants, not trousers.

7 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger shlinki said...

that's funny - i especially like the 'tasty cheese' one.
how's the job going?

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

I never realised how silly "tasty cheese" sounded! :)

Job's going well, thank you. Frantically busy. Will have to write more about it soon, but stoked it is going to (potentially) involve travelling to faraway lands for photo shoots. M

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Ian said...

Hiya,

Random comment I know but came came across your blog when I googled "Love of Diagrams" and "London".

My girlfriend has started a record label and is puting out a 7" at the end of November. They're coming over for about a week then too and will be playing a few shows in London, which we're just getting sorted now...

www.myspace.com/thepassportlabel and www.thepassportlabel.com if you're interested....


Cheers,

Ian

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger edieraye said...

Attended a British girls school for a year and a half during middle school. I was appalled when one of the girls asked if I had a rubber she could borrow. And she asked in front of the teacher. Imagine my relief when I found out all she wanted was an eraser. And I grossed all the other girls out when they asked me what kind of sandwich I was eating and I answered "peanutbutter and jelly" - which they thought meant I had mixed jello in with my peanutbutter. But the most embarrassing was in French class when the teacher kept talking about zed and I couldn't figure out what she meant. Was it a French term? What did it mean? Finally I raised my hand and asked. The whole class burst out laughing.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Kartar said...

American "English" is worse. Combine those eccentricities with the woeful abuse Americans inflict on language and grammar and you wonder how Americans can claim to have any literacy. And try writing in it. *grrrs at his copy editor for correcting yet another British English spelling*

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger dilemmalouzer said...

Hey I know what you mean - if you want even stranger looks, try talking to UK people about wearing thongs in the shower at backpacker hostels to avoid fungal infections(!!) - luckily that misunderstanding was sorted out before any rumours went around about questionable showering habits!

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger dilemmalouzer said...

Oh FYI for people who don't know - thongs (to Australians) = flip flops/jandals/whatever else anyone calls them...to further prevent rumours of questionable showering habits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home