Friday, November 11, 2005

O! My glamorous life. NYC edition.

Unexpectedly, for you more than me, I am presently in New York City. Last Thursday morning my company decided they'd like nothing more than to send me and a designer and a photographer on a top secret mission to Grand Central Terminal. In my seedy post-birthday state I grumbled on the timing, "But I'm meant to see the White Stripes next week, " I grumbled.

Helpfully, a colleague gave me a jaunty slap across the face and barked, "PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER, DEAR GIRL, THIS IS NEW YORK CITY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!"

And so I've been here since Monday. A friend took my ticket to the Stripes.

Aside from vagrants and terminal-bound railroad employees, I may be the only person (aside from my colleagues) in the history of the universe to spend three days in Grand Central without actually taking a train anywhere. Though I did get to do all sorts of wonderful things, such as enter the information booth, go down secret stairways, walk through the arched windows, and drive a locomotive simulator used to test engineers. Alas, I didn't succeed in de-railing it into the virtual Hudson River, no matter how hard I tried.

I interviewed about 10,000 people, including staff and commuters. Or at least 30. I was berated by an English Professor from the University of Michigan for not knowing where Ann Arbor was, and, still, not even knowing if I've now spelt it correctly. And, in a news stand, I thrust my dictaphone at Tolga Safer and Oliver Phelps, two young actors who were in the most recent Harry Potter film. They were very amiable, answered all my questions, and, at the end of it all, I helpfully directed them toward a cup of tea.

But now, it's my one and only day off and I'm a loon for nerding it up on the internet. I'm going to Williamsburg and the Lower East Side, because, from what I can tell from Superfuture and assorted sources such as my housemate, that's where hipsters like me go. And tonight I am most fortunate to once again meet my esteemed Brooklyn cobbers KDunk and Eliot.

HOORAY!

A big non-hooray on the fact I need to get up at 4.30am to fly out tomorrow, but hey.

3 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Krissy said...

Wow! How lucky you are Momo! I want a job with your company.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous miri said...

i miss you. looking forward to your return to the East.

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous shauny said...

sweeeeeeeeeet! have fun, you crazy cat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home