Monday, November 14, 2005

Some play on words about being bitten by the Big Apple

Well, New York totally won me over. Even after walking 2.5 hours from W51st street to the Lower East Side, without a map, getting completely lost, without a map, winding up under the Williamsburg Bridge, without a map, down by an express way, without a map, down by some river, without a map, and having to run like a motherfucker, without a map, all once I realised I was some kid in lurid tights wandering luridly on the wrong side of the tracks, without a map.

Eventually, I got back to where I wanted to go, and, still mapless, purchased more NY threads in three hours than is humanly decent.

Catching up with Kdunk and Eliot and their friends Keith and Julie was a joy, joy, joy. We ate congee, over which Eliot observed:

“Your accent must be all over the place right now.”

And, with a Cockney chimneysweep's lilt, my native Mildurian twang coo-ing out from the billabong, and a Tokyo-ite's tentative grasp on the English language, I responded:

“No, not at all.”

Sitting on a train and having Kdunk step onto the carriage and walk straight up to me - entirely unplanned, well, save for the fact we were meeting on the other side of town 20 minutes later - was Matrix bizarro incorporated. And a joy.

Anyway, since I can't possibly fall in love with a place without deciding I must live there, seemingly, I am planning how to move there next September, once I'm done with this UK thing. Even for a couple of months. Visas are slippery slopes to negotiate, but there are internships and things, and I don't mind being a 30-year-old intern in some vaguely publishing-related field, like loan-sharking or pizza delivery. Still, 'The 30-year-old Intern' does seem like an unfortunate comedy script starring that Deuce Bigalow guy.

5 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger daniel said...

I hear ya momo. I'm dying to live/work there for a while too.

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous miri said...

this is news to me—you damn secret scamp...

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Nina said...

your adventures sound more and more confusing everytime I come here. anyways, it doesn't sound like the lifestyle of a thirty- year old so I guess you're doing a pretty good job! :D

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

Thank you, Nina. However, I am starting to get perturbed whenever I write home and friends say "Your life is bizarre!" or "Are you sure you're not living someone else's life." or "Are you sure you haven't had a nervous breakdown?"

Yes, life's confusing right now, but I'm taking the good out of it. I think.

I thought I blabbed on about this Miri!

Dan, we can be interns together. Collectively, the 56-year-old Intern. Sweeeet.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Joana said...

So this is where you've been hiding! I used to read Momofreaksout and I'm happy to see your life is still eventful and you've kept your sense of humour. Hilarious!
*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home