Sunday, December 11, 2005

I can't change, I can't change

Last night, my friend Amy put on a spread of canapes and really good champagne (direct from a weekender loading up the family sedan in Francais) for a gaggle of us Australian girls working for the frosty bird. Of course, we all got ridiculously drunk and (for no reason in particular) started calling one another by our last names in sentences starting with 'Oi!' But the best thing was watching music videos, something I miss since I am frighteningly sans a television. After lots of ridiculous Beastie Boys imitations, whereby I mused, "I wish I could always move in slow-mo and only ever be seen through a fish-eye lense!" and demanded that we act out our Beastie moves in the tea room on Monday, on came The Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony'.

Agog at the screen, G shouted:

"Golden Fried Chicken!!!"

"OMG!" I agreed in annoying acronym, "Dad's Hair Salon!!!"

"Hoxton ElectroVision!!!!" she zinged.

"Pie and mash with the wretched viscous gravy shop!!!" I flung back, stodgily.

And, as we embarked on a good old "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next ..." sing along, G and I marvelled that this acclaimed continuous-shot music video was filmed on Hoxton Street, starting at our street, the one with Golden Fried Chicken on the corner.

Cool.

In other news:

Friday night is the company Christmas party at the Imperial War Museum. The theme is Bond, James Bond. I am wondering if turning up in a satin sheet, false lashes peeling off like eyebrow bound caterpillars, and rumpled hair a la a Bond girl post-Bond shag will have me - for better or for worse - forever labelled: 'That slapper who showed up to the Christmas party at the Imperial War Museum in a satin sheet'.

5 Comments:

At 3:24 AM, Anonymous Yoyo Betty said...

Look lady, it's not that I'm not for the slapper look but I have a few letters and a couple of words for you to help make up your mind - KT and the coconuts at the FMP do.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

Otherwise shorthand for 'whorebag'. Thank you for setting me straight, Yoyo dear!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Nina said...

Merry x-mas my dear!

Since you're an expert, my sis and I can't stop wondering if they celebrate x-mas in Japan? I know you're not there anymore but maybe you can tell me anyways?

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Kristi said...

Hey, Momo!!
Just a quick comment to wish you Happy Holidays - hope you had a wonderful Momoistique time! :)
Cheers!
Kristi

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

Thanks, ladies! Hope yours was lovely, too.

Nina, Japanese peeps don't celebrate Christmas as a religious thing, seeing they're Buddhist/Shinto, but couples tend to buy each other gifts. Christmas day itself is a shopping frenzy, and they eat Christmas cake, which is actually a sponge, strawberry and cream concoction.

Notably, for a bit of cultural information: in Japan unmarried ladies over the age of 25 were (in the past more than now) disparagingly known as 'Christmas cakes' - as, of course, no one wants a Christmas cake after the 25th. A lovely sentiment, really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home