Friday, February 17, 2006

Hee-yuk!

When I was seventeen, my maths teacher, Mr Edwards, advised that my laugh was like, I quote, “A Morris Minor trying to start on a frosty morning before being over-revved and flooding the engine.”

I can’t recall what prompted Mr Edwards’ address to the class which was by this time singing 'Stutter Rap', dorks, but obviously it was my extreme mirth at the unlikely event of actually finding the cosine on an equilateral triangle. Or something, since it was the death throes of my mathematic career.

A few days ago, I was on a trunk call to T-bone in Singapore when something he said as we were saying goodbye prompted me to laugh rather raucously.

“Oh. My. God,” he said quietly. “I haven’t heard that one in a while.”

“What?” I said, suddenly serious.

After a few seconds silence he blurted:

“CHEVY CHASE! STEVE MARTIN! TVs ALL-TIME FUNNIEST BLOOPERS!!!”

Which, I need to explain, is the Davinci Code-like key to my patented 'Goofy laugh'.

So, while I was laughing my heartiest “HEE-YUK! HEE-YUK!” hee-yuks, he echoed “HEE-YUK! HEE-YUK! HEE-YUK!” back at me, and shouted more things to further unleash the beast.

“AUSTRALIA’S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS! DRUNK COUPLE FALLING OVER INTO THEIR WEDDING CAKE! LITTLE KID GETTING KNOCKED IN THE HEAD WITH A SWING! FAT OLD PERSON STEPPING INTO A BOAT AND CAPSIZING IT!”

All of which, since I evidently have no empathy for drunk wedding couples, little kids’ playground disasters, or fat sea-faring old people, sent me into a Disney character maelstrom of hilarity.

“HEE-YUK! HEE-YUK! HEE-YUK! HEE-YUK!”

Then he ventured, “DOG PISSING IN THE BREAD!”

“What?” I said, “When did a dog piss in the bread?”

“ON NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION, GOOFY!” he bellowed.

“Oh yeah!” I responded, before launching back into a manic series of hee-yuks, and the phone call lasted an extra 20 minutes.

In an exchanging care package, he promised to record all of the things that make me laugh, if I promise to record the responding laugh. So yes, the little things.

8 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Anonymous shauna said...

heeeyukyukyuk! classic stuff :)

(and i love that you say 'trunk call'! more people should say that!)

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Mr Mom said...

Funniest home videos is my fave show. Please say that there isn't anything wrong with that???

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger KDunk said...

this made my eyes fill with tears for some reason xooxoxoxox

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a trunk call?

- Desci xo

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Gonzo said...

Something to do with elephants?

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger M-m-m-m-m-m-m-Momo said...

Perhaps. Or, it's old-fashioned for 'long distance telephone call'. Makes it seem further, I reckon.

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous 21 Centuery Dance Club said...

To get a trunk call you have to have packed a trunk?

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Yoyo Betty said...

Jazzy Jeff's laugh sounds like Scooby Doo's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home