Sunday, February 19, 2006

Walk like a Parisienne

I left Ms Miri’s at about 9 this glum old wintry morning, and, wandering along Brick Lane, I passed a man sweeping the street. Not that he was doing so out of the joy of sweeping, or anything, a la those cheerful Cockney characters chim chiminey chim chiminey chim-chim cheroo-ing in Mary Poppins, but because he was being paid to do so. Surprisingly.

As I passed, he piped:

“You right?”

And, because I’ve finally learned that “You right?” means “Top of the mornin’ to ya, wee lassie!” in terse London speak, I didn’t respond anything like, “Well, I do have a slight headache, and my glands are up in my throat a bit,” as I did when first moved here.

“Yeah, I’m right. You right?” I said, a-speakin' his language.

“Yeah. I’m right.”

At that exchange, I nodded to show that I was glad he was right, and I was right and that everything's gonna be alright, like the song, and then he enquired:

“Do you speak French, then?”

In keen interest, I rejoined, “No, do you?”

And he grinned, “No. I just thought you look like you come from Paris or somefink.”

Considering I was wearing the clothes I’d slept in, and, aside from my lurid streak of bubblegum pink lipstick, had the complexion of an iguana especially hard done by in the beauty stakes, it made my glum old wintry day. Although, of course, it could have been my baguette, beret and the fact I was miming walking a poodle in high winds.

13 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger flotiz said...

hehehe kak! hehehe kak! hehehe kak!

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous digit said...

youre the most.
like the new layout, even if you dont seem like a green.

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous You're the Horse said...

How romantic!

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger deborah said...

god you're funny. and also the only person who looks fabulous in bubblepink lipstick in 2006.

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous hello, is this thing on said...

Coooooorrrr...

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger boxen said...

high-wind poodle photos!

 
At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kitty....dang, it's silly molly! Have been emailing every address I have of yours to no avail, and have bashed my head as to how to contact you....I coulda called all drunk and 4 am styleen but decided to be clever and remember your blog!...I DUMB!...

Email me an appropriate addy woman, and postage addy toos.....yes yes..have gifts!

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kitty....dang, it's silly molly! Have been emailing every address I have of yours to no avail, and have bashed my head as to how to contact you....I coulda called all drunk and 4 am styleen but decided to be clever and remember your blog!...I DUMB!...

Email me an appropriate addy woman, and postage addy toos.....yes yes..have gifts!

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kitty....dang, it's silly molly! Have been emailing every address I have of yours to no avail, and have bashed my head as to how to contact you....I coulda called all drunk and 4 am styleen but decided to be clever and remember your blog!...I DUMB!...

Email me an appropriate addy woman, and postage addy toos.....yes yes..have gifts!

 
At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Molly said...

Hey kitty....dang, it's silly molly! Have been emailing every address I have of yours to no avail, and have bashed my head as to how to contact you....I coulda called all drunk and 4 am styleen but decided to be clever and remember your blog!...I DUMB!...

Email me an appropriate addy woman, and postage addy toos.....yes yes..have gifts!

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Tammy said...

The miming walking a poodle in high wind had me doubling over. Funny stuff!!

 
At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Kristi said...

Aw - cute story. :) And it's always nice when you're having one of those "eh" days, and someone seems to think you are looking pretty fabulous, even if you don't think so yourself! Keep 'em coming, Momo, always love reading your stories.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous uncle chicken said...

It's getting to be a long time between posts... go on, throw us a bone... will ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home